Thursday, May 5, 2011

Touring Turkey - On the Way to the Goreme Open Air Museum


Cappadocia, Cappadocia, Cappadocia. If I can say anything about this region of Turkey, it will be that this is by far one of the most spectacular and haunting geological formations that I have ever seen. The kicker: people actually lived in many of them! They ate, slept, prayed, hid from invading enemies and basically hung out in caves and rooms built into these funky looking rocks.

Husband J and I were on our way on foot (about a mile away from the center of Goreme) to the Goreme Open Air Museum, one of the best preserved sites in the entire region, but I couldn't stop taking pictures. I felt bad for Husband J 'cause I think he just wanted to get there already. I was too smitten. These pictures are ON THE WAY to the museum. We hadn't even gotten there yet!





Horsies! Yes, I am grown woman who says horsies. What? ;)

So I just want to let you know that camels are not indigenous to Turkey, but they are available for a ride for a small fee. :)


Husband J and I got a kick out of this sign. "Wouldn't you like to ride on a camel? Nice experience, isn't it?" Uh...okay, if you put it that way. I don't like to make fun of slightly poor English idiomatic phrasing, but I thought this sign was too cute.
The sign is next to Husband J. Too cute!

Also beware of this little area right before the museum and next the camel rides. We entered it thinking, "Uh, where's the museum?" This area is marked "Goreme Open Air Museum", but it's really just some stalls to buy food and souvenirs. Although we didn't buy anything, we didn't realize that this wasn't the area outside the actual museum until we were half way through. The people who created that sign were SMART!

More on the ACTUAL Goreme Open Air Museum next week!

2 comments:

BigAppleNosh said...

What a cool site! And that sign makes me smile as well :)

Oneika said...

Very very cool. Putting it on the list. :-)

 

Try Anything Once All rights reserved © 2010
I am a HowJoyful Design