Thursday, September 29, 2011

Back Trackin', Ireland Edition - Guinness Storehouse


***MY BAD ON MY LAST POST! A big shout out the wonderful Jordan Matter of Jordan Matter Photography for those great shots of me. You're the best, Jordan!***


I've already discussed the new pub friends Husband J and I made while traveling through Ireland. Yet one of the mandatory beer related stops we had to make was to the Guinness Storehouse, the Guinness version of Disneyland a little ways away from central Dublin. This is actually not where they produce Guinness, but it doesn't matter to the throngs of peoplewho gather daily at one of Ireland's most visited attractions (at least according to the website).

When we visited I was nowhere near being a blogger meaning I have less pics than I'd like, but here's a little taste of the experience (no pun intended). I will say that the you'll definitely know that you arrived. They make it pretty obvious.


Husband J (who was Boyfriend J at the time) was happy. Very happy. Kid in a candy store happy to be there. I was just playing along. :)


The Guinness Storehouse is a series of exhibits that takes you through the history of the Guinness brand as well as the historical and current beer production process. I think I paid attention somewhere along the lines. Husband J surely did.

The part of the visit I was waiting for was the grand finale. Every visitor with admission ticket who is 18 years of age and older is entitled to a free pint of Guinness! While I am not a big Guinness fan, I will say that it's worth the trip. The tasting room is called the Gravity Bar, and you do get a really great view of Dublin.

With our free pints. The best kind of pints are FREE pints!


There were James Joyce quotations written on the glass for that extra "We're in Dublin" effect.

You can't go to Dublin and not go to the Guinness Storehouse. I think it might be blasphemy even if you don't drink or like beer. It's Dublin after all. :)

What's the best brewery tour that you've done?

4 comments:

melinda said...

Oh wow, this brings back memories! I was there in 2003 while studying abroad - they would put shots of currant syrup into pints if some people wanted (though I thought it was tasty, I went the purist route myself). The only other brewery that beat the experience was a local place in Raleigh where the brew master himself gave the tour and we had unlimited drinks ;)

Geek in Heels said...

I'm so stinkin' jealous — the Guinness Storehouse has been on my list of "places to visit before I die" for ages now!

Sugar said...

I've been there too! My favorite was Heineken in Amsterdam. But Anchor Steam in SF is pretty great, but only at 1pm during the week and you have to make reservations. You'll have to stop by on your way to visit us in wine country next time!!!

Oneika said...

I've been to Dublin but didn't make it to the factory- darn! Looks like fun!

 

Try Anything Once All rights reserved © 2010
I am a HowJoyful Design