Monday, November 7, 2011

2011 ING NYC Marathon


"If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon."
-Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to enter and run the Boston Marathon

I saw this quotation yesterday, and it really summed up why I love watching the NYC marathon as it goes through my neighborhood each year. It's a yearly reminder to not take my physical abilities for granted, and overall to keep thinking about how I can push myself both physically and mentally.

I blogged about my experience watching it last year, but I thought I would do something a little different this year. This time I'll let you experience the sights and sounds of the marathon from my perspective. If you don't mind my crudely edited video, here's a look at yesterday's marathon below. If you listen closely, you can hear me talking in the background.

My area was a major flashpoint in the marathon as it had an entertainment center, something new that the New York Road Runners, the marathon's organizers, added this year. Also the local news/marathon coverage had a strategic broadcasting position right there. Husband J says that he saw he me on TV at one point when he went back to our apartment. :)





Some things I learned yesterday:

-Most of the marathon goes through Brooklyn. About 10 of the 26.2 miles.

-The ING NYC Marathon is the largest marathon in the world with over 47,000 participants this year. Supposedly over a million (maybe two million) people actually come out to cheer on the runners.

-All of the top 3 male finishers set course records. Wow!

Are there any events out there that inspire you?

1 comment:

Oneika said...

I really have an interest in running so I am SUPER inspired by races. I hope to do a half marathon in London next spring!

 

Try Anything Once All rights reserved © 2010
I am a HowJoyful Design