Thursday, July 28, 2011

Back Trackin', California Edition - Traipsing Through Downtown San Francisco


**For those of you newer to the blog, Back Trackin' post are posts about places that I've been to in the past (usually more than a year or more in the past).**

On our way to Napa Valley, we didn't spend very much time in San Francisco. I'm disappointed about that. Now that I know a few people who live in the area, I hope to go back for a visit and to see parts of the city that we didn't get to explore.

We stayed right in downtown near the Civic Center, which allowed us to walk to most centrally located areas in SF.

Our first stop was pretty easy since it was essentially across the street from our hotel. Under the impression that we were just walking through a pretty park, we stumbled onto the Martin Luther King Memorial.

Pretty, isn't it?

I appreciated the quotation on the back wall.

After sitting in the park for a short while, we made our way over to Chinatown. I was very excited to see San Francisco's Chinatown since it's the largest Chinatown outside of Asia and the oldest one in North America. I actually think I liked it a bit better than NYC's. Don't worry...I'm not losing my NYC love anytime soon.



By the way, we had a great meal at R & G Lounge in Chinatown. It was a little bit of a wait, but even a very hungry Husband J said it was worth it. It closes at around 9:30pm and seems to be popular with families, which is always a sign to me that there's good food to be had.

I love the fact that there is a street in downtown San Francisco named after Jack Kerouac. I still haven't read On the Road yet. Is it worth it? I hear it's a little out there/esoteric. Apparently there is going to be a movie adaptation coming out later this year.


By the way, I think the Transamerica Pyramid is pretty darn cool. I wouldn't mind a funky looking building like that to dot NYC's skyline.

If I am in a new city in the U.S., I refuse to miss much of the touristy stuff, which essentially meant that I wasn't going to miss winding Lombard Street.

Too bad the walk up to Lombard Street was almost vertical. San Franciscans (did I get that right?) must have awesome legs, bums and cardio endurance. These hills are NO JOKE!
Husband J walks ahead. I was a little slow walking up. :(


At least we got a nice view after all of the effort.....
Do you notice Alcatraz in the distance?

I hope this post did downtown San Francisco justice. If you've been to or live in San Francisco, where are some of your favorite places to visit?

1 comment:

melinda said...

I like seeing the touristy things too! When we were apt. hunting out here, we did a trolley tour and got a great overview of the city. We're actually heading out to see the painted ladies tonight and take advantage of the sun!

 

Try Anything Once All rights reserved © 2010
I am a HowJoyful Design