Friday, January 13, 2012

Fantasy Travel Friday - Luxe Amazon River

When I think of the Amazon River, I think of lots of bugs and deforestation. Not really the best mental images or assumptions, huh? It's just not on my radar; and, for that, I feel bad.



Aqua Expeditions has totally changed my idea of what it means to explore the Amazon. Their 3, 4 and 7 day cruises sail down the second longest river in the world and epitomize river cruising with swagger. Aqua Expeditions' cruises orignate in Iquitos, the largest city in the Peruvian Amazon (I usually don't associate Peru with the Amazon. Do you?), and the boats make their way through its various tributaries and on the Amazon itself.




I can already tell from this picture that one's sleeping quarters and bathrooms will not be shabby in the least. Not a bad way to wake up, right? Lying in bed and watching the Amazon go by isn't a bad thing.


My first thought would immediately be lounging a fair bit. It's a cruise, right?

Aqua Expeditions recently released a cookbook of dishes served on the ship, so I suppose they are not playing around when it comes to food either. The menu boasts gourmet Peruvian cuisine.



A sample dish from their menu


Eventually, I am sure that I would have to get off the boat and explore, but I think the deck chairs would be calling me.

I would finally be coaxed off of the boat to enjoy visiting local villages, fishing, bird watching or just observing the Amazon's unique wildlife.


I think Aqua Expeditions cruises would be the right way to get an education about this ecologically important part of the world. Anyone want to come with me?

Has anyone been to the Amazon? What's it like?

Happy Weekend!



4 comments:

Daphne said...

The Amazon hasn't been on my bucket list, either, but I could get down with that expedition! And that sample dish looks delicious!

Erika said...

Hi! I just found your blog when I was searching for photos for mine. I love your style. I write exclusively about wishful travel, since I haven't gotten to travel much in reality. I love dreaming, though, and hope I can travel soon. I'm looking forward to being inspired by your posts. :)

Try Anything Once Terri said...

Thanks, Erika! I will definitely be taking a look at your blog. Even when someone's traveled a bit the daydreaming doesn't stop. Thanks again for stopping by.

Bruleegirl said...

I have never really thought about the Amazon as a place for me to visit. However, these expeditions look wonderful. I may have to reconsider.

 

Try Anything Once All rights reserved © 2010
I am a HowJoyful Design