Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ironman

I think I may have mentioned that I am enthralled by the Ironman Championship.

It's a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile run, and a marathon back to back. Don't worry. You get 17 hours to finish. :)

Maybe it's the dramatic NBC tv editing?



There I was crying like a baby on a Saturday afternoon last month watching a woman who had just finished battling cancer; an 81 year old man doing his 22nd Ironman; and a woman who had just lost hundreds of pounds cross the finish line. I'm such a sucker for people accomplishing things they thought they couldn't, or maybe I'm just a weirdo who has a secret death/pain wish or an untapped masochistic streak. That video doesn't really help either.

No, I'm not doing an Ironman anytime soon. I still haven't done a second 5k! It doesn't mean that I don't think about it though. :)

It could be a great reason to go to the Big Island of Hawaii, too. Anyone been to the Big Island and not just Oahu? Do you know anyone who's done an Ironman or even finished a half Ironman? Have you ever done a triathlon?

3 comments:

Bruleegirl said...

I have not done a triathlon but it is on my bucket list. I want to become a stronger swimmer. I think Ironman participants are inspiring. So many people have trained hard and overcome several obstacles.

Unknown said...

Like @Bruleegirl, a triathlon is on my bucket list, but I need to become a stronger swimmer first. Though I have no desire to do an Ironman, it is cool to see people conquer it.

Erin said...

I don't get the Ironman thing at all, but I do vote for a trip to Hawaii. Its beautiful! I've been to the Big Island once but I was a teenager so didn't really appreciate the contrast with the other islands (i.e., you can theoretically ski and surf on the same day on the Big Island). I do recall the black sand beaches being lovely. My favorite island, though, is Kauai. Its less developed and its what I imagine more of Hawaii looked like before tourism really took off.

 

Try Anything Once All rights reserved © 2010
I am a HowJoyful Design