Thursday, August 18, 2011

Summer Dinner - Swordfish & Green Bean Slaw


Here's another simple dinner from me. As I mentioned before, the summer makes me want to flee the kitchen rather than hunker down to cook anything complicated. I made this dinner the day before our meal at River Cafe (we can't eat out all of the time!).

Clockwise: (Broiled) swordfish, corn, green bean slaw

Swordfish - I know many people are intimidated by cooking fish, but I don't think it has to be hard. Actually I find it easier than cooking red meat, since you can only cook it for so long. For this swordfish, I keep it simple (I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but it's true).

1. Light the broiler :) (I wish I owned a grill)
2. Season the swordfish with salt and pepper
3. Add a little pat of butter (not too much). I know it's butter, but I like it.
Olive spray works well, too.
4. Put under the broiler for about 15 minutes maybe more depending on the thickness of the swordfish.

Obviously, this is not super clear and depends on a lot on just experimenting over time, but this is what I do. I'm definitely not a recipe blogger. :)

Green Bean Slaw - I got the recipe here. The hardest thing about this was cutting the veggies into a nice julienne. It was really that easy. You may want to halve the recipe as I had leftovers for days. If you're planning a late summer barbecue, this would be a great veggie side dish.

Corn - again, simply boiling for 10-12 minutes or so should do the trick. I wish I had a grill for the corn. One day...

Are you intimidated by cooking fish, red meat or anything else?

2 comments:

Katie said...

Cooking fish used to be really intimidating to me.
But now swordfish is one of my husband and I's favorite fish. I marinate in olive oil, garlic and rosemary and grill it! yum.

Katie said...

YUM! That looks fantastic. I love the idea of the green bean slaw - I want to try it! :)

 

Try Anything Once All rights reserved © 2010
I am a HowJoyful Design