Wednesday, February 1, 2012

In My 'Hood - Van Horn Sandwich Shop


I know that sometimes I might feature food that seems a bit hoity-toity or unfamiliar, but like everyone else, I can enjoy simple food. One afternoon I was craving something that wasn't going to make me think very much about what I was eating. I just wanted something familiar.

I can't think of anything more familiar than a chicken sandwich. Yup. A simple chicken sandwich. Van Horn Sandwich Shop's sandwich completely fit the bill.



I will say that this by far one of the best chicken sandwiches I have ever tasted. I always fear that chicken sandwiches will be DRY with no flavor especially when I see an outside coating. This chicken sandwich was so juicy, and the cabbage slaw's tanginess added a nice acidic bite. I didn't even add anything to the sandwich, if I remember correctly. This is one of Van Horn's signature dishes along with their fried catfish sandwich and bacon, lettuce and pimento cheese sandwich.

Of course, I couldn't leave with just a sandwich, so I went and had the hush puppies, too. You might want to share the order (unlike me).



Nothing beats the crispness of a well-fried hush puppy. They're only made better by the honey-infused butter that accompanied it.

Simple indeed.


Van Horn Sandwich Shop
231 Court Street
Brooklyn, New York

4 comments:

Tony Van Helsing said...

I have to hand it to Americans, no-one can top their sandwiches. That looks absolutely delicious.

Try Anything Once Terri said...

@TOny - LOL! You are too funny! Yes, we do a good job of great sandwiches here. Anything between two pieces of bread is going to be pretty good. :)

colleen said...

I can never say no to a good sandwich. Especially fried catfish and bacon? Damn.

Best panini press said...

grill plates
Waffle maker
Waffle plates
cuisinart griddler waffle plates
Waffle plates
Electric grill plate
griddler waffle plates
Best Electric grill plate

 

Try Anything Once All rights reserved © 2010
I am a HowJoyful Design